Friday, July 10, 2009

This one is for Fishy

About the beginning of summer I saw a change come over my middle child.

It was during the bedtime routine and I was becoming increasingly frustrated with my youngest child. He will remain nameless.

This youngest child has manipulated his bedtime routine since...

since...

FOREVER!!
See already I'm getting worked up.

As my voice began to rise and my youngest child continued to cause distress for the both of us, my middle child was lying in his top bunk ever so quiet.
When I had had enough of the child in the lower bunk, I turned my eyes up to the child above me.
His eyes were filled were tears.
My heart was breaking.
I'd let him down.
I fear I do that way too often with this child.
I asked if he was sad because of me getting upset or if he was sad about his little brother's behavior. (silently praying it was the latter)
And then he said ever so bravely,
"Well, kinda both."
Wow! I felt so small.
And then he said,
"I just wish he would obey so that it wouldn't upset you so much."

And that is when it started.
Suddenly this boy emerged as the OLDER BROTHER
or rather his little brother's SHEPHERD.
He is ever so gentle in his reminders to help his brother listen and obey.
He guides him away from the "wolf" (aka: mom) when he sees me getting frazzled.
He offers alternatives to choices which could bring the wolf from hiding.
He sacrifices (nearly always - I mean he IS 10 after all) his own desires to that of this little brother.
It happens time and time again.
I have even taken this shepherd boy of mine aside and expressed my gratitude for his selflessness. Reminding him also that it is okay to make his OWN choice and not be influenced by the need to protect, guide or lead his little brother who we enable too much already.
But of course he responds with,
"It's okay. Really."

I've seen these brothers embrace more than ever before.
I think the little one knows he is being watched over.
And finally I saw my youngest offer his gratitude.
He asked for minimal help with this offering...

and my shepherd boy, being the treat-lover that he is, gave it back to his little brother.
And what did little brother say??
"He wanted me to have it. But I let him have a bite."
And before you get all caught up in the sweetness of it all, here is what the little brother said when he saw this in his bowl of sugar coated cereal:
"Hey, mom! Can you guess what this is??"
No, I couldn't guess.
"Come on Mom! Can't you see it? It's a toilet!"

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I miss my little guys. I could gobble them both up :)

Collette said...

For the second time now, that story has made me tear up. Such a sweet, sweet boy.