Monday, March 15, 2010

Recipe #4

Let's face it...
I'm not going to get these recipes posted in a timely manner.
I've faced it and I'm okay with it.

The recipe for the next week was Ree's Mac and Cheese
For the record ~ I don't make homemade mac and cheese.  Kraft does a lovely job with the kind in the famous blue box, don't you think??  But this recipe changed my mind in a hurry. 

The last time I tasted the homemade variety, I was a newlywed living in Eugene Oregon.  Some wonderful friends of ours invited us over for dinner one night and this is what they served up.  I so enjoyed it!  Cheesy, gooey and a crunchy top.  It was delicious but I, for whatever reason, I never ventured to try the dish on my own.  End of story. 

So here we are at the present.  The recipe was easy enough.  I'm learning through this consistant try at new recipes that the first time you make a recipe is the time to learn what works and what you need to adjust the next time.  You know ~ like the heat on my pan gravy for the Chicken Fried Steak.  This time around it was the heat and the amount of time it took to get the cheese mixture to the proper "thickened" state.  Next time around I'll turn down the heat.  I think I'm seeing a pattern here : ) I cooked up some bacon to a crispy deliciousness to add in before I tucked it in the oven to bake.

We all really liked the mac and cheese.  The bacon is a must!  I will certainly make this again with the above mentioned adjustments.  She has some other wonderful suggestions to add in too...like carmelized onion, green chilies and a variety of cheeses.  Mmm Mmm good!  Oh wait - that's Cambell's.

I'm not doing another recipe until after Spring Break, just in case you were all anxiously awaiting!
Ha Ha!  I love pretending you all care : )

*photo found here

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I have been dying to do homemade mac and cheese. Maybe I'll try this one.

Jo-Anne said...

Oh, we loooove homemade mac and cheese. I can't wait to try this recipe. THANKS! :)