Friday, September 10, 2010

learning to preserve

The crash was emotional for me.
A computer crash with no external hard drive backup.

The kindest of computer nerds I know tried to recover all he could.
Nearly everything gone. 

His wife, another sweet computer nerd and dear friend, said that it is like having a fire in a little corner of your home...
It consumes what is often the most meaningful.

Which was the case for me.
It is all I use the computer for...the pictures, the journaling, the endless documents I created as I served three years in primary music, another three years in young women's, ten years of sacrament meeting talks and lessons--all so I could retrieve them again.  And that doesn't include all the stuff from volunteering at our elementary school.

I found out the hard way that moments are fleeting and slip through your fingers if not preserved properly.  And it's a personal choice on how you care to do so.

For me, if I want this blog to be what it's meant to be, then I must be more diligent at preserving L I F E and securing it on paper.

This "paper" is my personal choice and I want to be better at it.

This online blog, thankfully, preserved for me some favorite moments in picture and word.

It also opened my eyes to the fact that what I missed posting...I missed.

Preserve.  Which by definition is explained as...
1: to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : protect
2a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay b : maintain
3a : to keep or save from decomposition b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use
4: to keep up and reserve for personal or special use

Such a great word; preserve.
It fits perfectly with what I'm feeling right now.

3 comments:

LaNae said...

Oh my gosh--I have got to back my stuff up! We had that happen a couple of years ago and it is horrible. I said I would be diligent about backing up---thanks for the reminder!

Rachel said...

Oh noooooo. I'm going to start having back-up panic right now. Thank heavens for the blog!!

Kristin said...

I am so sad for you, but thank you for the reminder. My computer has been giving me problems for awhile and I kept having the feeling to back up my pics, however, my cd drive was not working to save them, the way I had done it in the past. After your post I spent the next two days saving the pics to shutterfly. How are you going to save your pics in the future? Have you gotten a new computer?